The Bachelor of Science in Agribusiness with Entrepreneurship programme is designed to train students and equip them with adequate theoretical, technical, practical, entrepreneurial and managerial skills in agriculture and agribusiness to enable them function effectively as agribusiness professionals who can establish and operate their own enterprises and also act as agri-intrapreneurs in the agribusiness subsector of the economy. The course has been designed to train the needed manpower who will act entrepreneurially in the organizations they will find themselves or be able to set up their own businesses.
Objectives of the programme
The main objective of the programme is to produce professional Agribusiness personnel who will be able to apply knowledge and skills to establish and operate agribusiness ventures and also act as intra-preneurs in the agribusiness industry. The specific objectives of the programme are:
- Teach students the theories, principles and concepts related to agriculture science, agribusiness management, and postharvest management.
- Train students to acquire critical thinking and analytical skills to solve workrelated problems and perform task such as good agricultural practices (GAPs), husbandry practices, protected agriculture, value-addition, and agro bio-safety systems in the agribusiness industry.
- Equip students with professional and ethical consideration required by the agribusiness industry.
- Train students to conduct basic academic as well as demand-driven research within the broad field of agribusiness.
- Equip students with transferable hands-on skills demanded by employers.
- Train and prepare students for professional progression path to higher education (MPhil and PhD) in Agribusiness programmes.
Entry Requirements For Admission
Eligibility: Students from SHS who read courses from all areas of specialization are eligible to read the Agribusiness with Entrepreneurship Programme.
The entry requirements for admission of WASSCE, SSSCE and GBCE candidates to the Bachelor of Science (BSc.) in Agribusiness with Entrepreneurship programme are three (3) credit passes in three (3) core subjects and three (3) credit passes in three (3) relevant elective subjects.
(a) Senior Secondary School Certificate examinations (SSSCE), West African Senior School Certificate Examination (WASSCE) and General Business Certificate Examination (GBCE)
Credit Passes (A – D) in six (6) subjects comprising three (3) core subjects, including English Language and Mathematics, plus any three (3) elective subjects in any area of specialization.
WASSCE Candidates: Credit Passes (A1 – C6) in six (6) subjects comprising three (3) Core subjects, including English Language and Mathematics, plus any three (3) elective subjects in any area of specialization.
GBCE Candidates: Credit Passes (A – D) in six (6) subjects comprising three (3) core subjects including English Language and Mathematics plus any three (3) elective subjects.
(b) General Certificate of Education (GCE) Advanced Level Candidates
Passes in three (3) subjects (at least, one of the passes should be grade D or better). Also, the applicant must have had credit passes (Grade 6) in five (5) GCE Ordinary Level subjects including English Language, Mathematics and a Science subject (for non-science students) and an Arts subject (for Science students).
(c) Admission of Higher National Diploma (HND) Candidates
Applicant must have graduated and passed with an HND certificate or its equivalent shall be admitted into level 300 of the BSc. Programme. HND graduate will be exempted Attachment I and Attachment II.
(d) Admission of Diploma (Dip) Candidates
Applicants who have passed and graduated with a Diploma Certificate in a relevant diploma programme shall be admitted into level 200 of the BSc. Programme. Diploma graduate will be exempted Attachment I.
(e) Advanced Business Certificate Examination (ABCE) Candidates
Full diploma certificate in ABCE. Also, the applicant must have had credit passes in five
(5) subjects including English Language, Mathematics, Integrated Science or Social Studies in the General Business Certificate Examination (GBCE) or Senior Secondary School Certificate Examination (SSSCE) or West African Senior Secondary School Certificate Examination (WASSCE). ABCE candidates may be considered for admission at level 200 of the programme.
(f) Mature Students’ Entry.
Mature Applicants Must be 25 years old with legitimate documentary proof which is at least five (5) years old at the time of application, must pass Mature Students’ Entrance Examinations conducted by KsTU, may have to attend and pass an interview. Evidence of working experience will be an added advantage.
(g) Foreign Applicants:
Academic records of foreign applicants with the requisite qualification will be referred to GTEC for the determination of equivalence and eligibility for admission as well as placement.
Government Agencies and Public Sector:
- Ministry of Food and Agriculture (MoFA)
- Ministry of Environment, Science and Technology (MEST)
- Ministry of Trade and Industry (MoTI)
- Ghana Export Promotion Authority
- Ministry of Education – secondary schools, training colleges, tertiary institutions.
- Ghana Cocoa Board – COCOBOD
- Food Safety and Quality Control Institutions – Food and Drug Authority (FDA), Ghana Standard Authority (GSA).
- Metropolitan, Municipal and District Assemblies
- National Research Institutions – Crop Research Institute, Animal Research
- Institute, Food Research Institute of Council for Scientific and Industrial Research
Private organizations and Non-Governmental Organizations:
- Colleges and Universities
- Commercial Banks
- Rural and Community Banks
- Agrochemical Supply Companies
- Agri-Food Processing Firms
- Meat Processing Companies
- Agri-Food Marketing Companies
- Agricultural Consultancy and Advisory Firms
- Non-Governmental Organizations
- International Development Agency – CARE International, DANIDA, GIZ, SNV.