The Bachelor of Engineering in Chemical Engineering programme aims at training students to acquire knowledge, skills and attitude required for immediate employment and successful career in the chemical and allied industries.
The programme has been carefully developed to enhance students’ ability to perform engineering design through creative thinking, synthesis and integration of inter-disciplinary knowledge to enable them to apply engineering solutions to national and global challenges.
The specific objectives are to:
- Equip students with strong technical foundation in Chemical Engineering and communication skills for their professional advancement;
- Enable students identify, formulate, and solve engineering problems, and to use the techniques, skills, and requisite tools necessary for engineering practice;
- Prepare the students for the changing technological environment with the basic knowledge central to multidisciplinary development and personal improvement for their life-long professional careers; and
- Inculcate in the students a strong sense of responsibility, to enable them act ethically in their professional endeavours.
Entry requirement for admissions of students
The duration of the Bachelor of Science programme is four (4) years, and to gain admission to the programme, an applicant must satisfy the following minimum entry requirements:
(a) SSSCE APPLICANTS
SSSCE holders who have credits (A-D) in the following three core subjects: English Language, Mathematics and integrated science, plus credits (A-D) in three science-based, elective subjects including Chemistry with an aggregate score of 24 or better.
(b) WASSCE APPLICANTS
WASSCE holders who have credits (A1-C6) in the following three core subjects: English Language, Mathematics and integrated science, plus credits (A1-C6) in three science-based, elective subjects including Chemistry with an aggregate score of 36 or better.
(c) HND APPLICANTS
- HND Chemical Engineering applicants will be admitted at third year (Level 300) but will take courses selected from the various modules.
- Applicants with other engineering and chemistry backgrounds would be required to take relevant chemical engineering and chemistry courses as prerequisites.
(d) DIPLOMA APPLICANTS
Students with Diploma in Chemical Engineering will be admitted at second year (Level 200).
(e) TRANSFER FROM OTHER SISTER INSTITUTION
Students who might have completed certain competencies in other institutions may be allowed to join the programme at a level to be determined by the Department Board.
(f) MATURE APPLICANTS
- Must be at least twenty-five (25) years old at the time of application;
- Must pass Mature Students’ Entrance Examinations conducted by KsTU; and
- Must attend and pass an interview.
Evidence of working experience will be an added advantage.
(g) FOREIGN APPLICANTS
Academic records of foreign applicants will be carefully scrutinised to determine the qualification equivalence and eligibility for admission as well as placement.
Graduates of the programme are likely to be employed in the following industries:
- Soaps and detergents industries
- Polymers and plastics industries
- Paper and pulp industries
- Food and drinks industry
- Cement industries
- Mineral processing industries
- Water treatment and production industries
- Pharmaceutical and healthcare industries
- Personal care products industries
- Metals processing industries
- Garments and textiles industries
- Fertilizer and agrochemicals industries
- Petrochemicals and energy industries
- Regulatory bodies
- Academic institutions
- Research institutions