The BTech Data Science Programme is to provide students with knowledge and skills in both computer science and statistical modelling for intensive data-driven real world problem solving and scientific discovery.
The objectives of the Data Science programme are to:
- Equip students with conceptual and theoretical knowledge and skills in both computer science and statistical modelling for large data problem solving and scientific discovery;
- Equip students with technical, analytical and practical skills in software engineering and machine learning to design and implement efficient, data-driven solutions to real world problems;
- Teach students the professional and ethical principles related to Data Science;
- Train students to conduct research in new trends in Data Science; and
- Provide students with a broad foundation of knowledge and skills and provide avenues for further education to postgraduate level and beyond.
The entry requirements for the programme are:
A. SSSCE Applicants
Passes (A-D) in Core English Language, Core Mathematics and Integrated Science plus three Elective Subjects in the relevant Area of Study (including Agricultural Science or General Science or General Arts with Geography and Economics options or Business with Elective Mathematics option).
B. WASSCE Applicants
Passes (A1-C6) in Core English Language, Core Mathematics and Integrated Science plus three Elective Subjects in the relevant Area of Study (including Agricultural Science or General Science or General Arts with Geography and Economics options or Business with Elective Mathematics option).
C. GCE “O” and “A” Level Applicants
Holders with credits in at least five (5) subjects at the GCE 'O' Level (or its equivalent) including
English Language and Mathematics, plus Three (3) passes in the relevant subjects (including Agricultural Science, General Science, General Arts with Geography and Economics options or Business with Elective Mathematics option) at the Advanced Level.
D. HND (or its Equivalent) Applicants
First Class or Second Class Upper Division in Statistics or related area will be admitted to third year (i.e. Level 300). Candidates with Second Class Lower Division will have to attend an interview.
Applicants with Two-Years Diploma in Statististics and related programmes will be admitted into the second year (level 200). They may have to attend an interview at the Department.
E. Mature Applicants
Applicants must be 25 years old with legitimate documentary proof which is at least five (5) years old at the time of application, must pass Mature Students’ Entrance Examinations conducted by KsTU, may have to attend and pass an interview. Evidence of working experience will be an added advantage
F. Foreign Applicants
Academic records of foreign applicants will be referred to GTEC for the determination of qualification equivalence and eligibility for admission as well as placement
Successful graduates from the BTech Data Science programme will be able to take jobs in, but not limited to, the following areas:
- Ghana Statistical service
- Telecommunication Industries
- Research Institutions
- Financial Institutions
- Mining Industries
- Ghana Health Service (e.g. hospitals/clinics, health directorates)
- Aviation Industries
- Ghana Meteorological Agency
- Information Technology Industries
- Environmental Protection Agency
- Sanitation Firms