The Department of Fashion Design and Textiles Studies is the primary Department under the Faculty of Creative Arts and Technology. The Department runs two types of programmes:
- Higher National Diploma in Fashion and Textiles
- Non-tertiary Programmes in Advanced and Intermediate Fashion.
The Higher National Diploma in Fashion and Textiles is a three-year programme while the Advanced and Intermediate are one and two-year programmes respectively. The Non-HND programmes are certificated by the Technical Examination Unit of the Ghana Education Service. The recent installation of the state-of-the-art sewing machinery and clothing technology equipment is a dream come true and would go a long way to ensure quality teaching and learning. In addition a modern Cosmetology Salon has been established to provide grooming services to the Polytechnic community.
To be a leading provider of skills in Fashion and Textiles Technology and Creative Education in Ghana, in order to foster growth and development in the Garment, Textiles and related industries.
The goal of the Department is to prepare students for meaningful employment and job creation in the fashion, textiles and related industries that would facilitate the country’s goal of self-reliance. It is intended that the programmes will achieve, among others the following objectives:
- Provide integrated academic and liberal studies in various forms to meet the varying needs of students and society.
- Develop broad Creative Technical Education and Training in Fashion Design and Textiles
- Develop adequate practical and entrepreneurial skills training to enable graduates to participate fully in the social and economic development of the nation.
- Promote the study of local and international fashion and textiles as appropriate for integration into the economy of Ghana for development.
- Provide opportunities for supervised industrial practice (through attachments and visits) that are pertinent to the students’ field of study and professional careers.