The Building Technology Department under the Faculty of Built and Natural Environment was established in 1954. It was in the same year Kumasi Polytechnic was established. The Department has been engaged in the training of Construction Technicians and Building Technologists for the fast growing Ghanaian Construction and other related industries.
In 1988, the Department started the General Course in Construction(GCC). This was developed and expanded leading to the establishment of the Construction Technician Certificate Part I and Part II (CTC I and CTC II) and Higher National Diploma (HND), Programmes. The Construction Technician Certificate Part II (CTC II), a two –year programme, has since the 2000/2001 academic year been divided into two parts: Construction Technician Certificate Part II (CTC II), and Part III (CTC III), each of a year’s duration to conform with the three(3) levels of other Technician Programmes in the Institution
The Department thus offers
- Bachelor of Building Technology (BTech) Top-up Programme
- HND Building Technology
- Construction Technicians Certificate Parts I-III (CTC I-III),
To become the most outstanding training ground for the achievement of professional competency in construction practice in Ghana.
The main objective of the Department is to provide high level calibre, skilled manpower for the construction industry. In addition students are trained to act in the capacities as:
- Building Technologist Assistants in preparing Bills of Quantities, Variations and Cost information
- Architectural Assistants in preparing and interpreting architectural designs at the project site
- Site Agents and Clerk of Works to manage the project site
- Decisions makers in the selection, use and supervision of building material at construction sites